My first name tends to be pronounced incorrectly. While my problems aren't quite as dire as this guy, I think a short guide is still in order, and here it is:
"Stephen" is pronounced exactly the same as "Steven".
I can understand the confusion: a quick search of the CMU pronouncing dictionary shows that there is no other word in the English language where "ph" is pronounced as a "v". Don't ask me why "Stephen" is pronounced the way it is.
The name "Stephen" is from the Greek "στέφανος" which means "crown". The "φ" explains the "ph". One
form of "στέφανος" is found in the New Testament. Stephen is also
a Saint in many Christian traditions, as well as the first martyr.
See my Athlinks profile
. Races I have run (*PR):
- 2014 Illinois Marathon (4:21:33)
- 2015 Tulip Time 5k (19:30)
- 2015 Illinois Half Marathon (1:42:26)
- 2015 Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon (1:40:54)
- 2015 Kansas City Marathon 5k, 2nd age group (21:19)
- 2015 Terre Haute Turkey Trot (19:30)
- 2016 Allerton Trails Half Marathon (1:40:25)
- 2016 Illinois Half Marathon (1:35:18)
- 2016 Sunburst Half Marathon (Official: 1:38:14; Unofficial: 1:34:36; The half appeared to be 13.6 miles.)
- 2016 Indianapolis Monumental Marathon (3:13:59*)
- 2016 Terre Haute Turkey Trot (17:47)
- 2017 Allerton Trails Half Marathon, 3rd overall (1:28:08)
- 2017 Illinois Half Marathon (1:22:49)
- 2017 Terre Haute Memorial Day 5k, 1st overall (17:35*)
- 2017 Philly Mayor's Cup 10 Mile, 3rd age group (1:04:44*)
- 2017 Philadelphia Half Marathon (1:21:46*)
- 2018 Broad Street 10-Miler
- 2018 Philadelphia Half Marathon (1:22:22)
Here are the states I have visited, and which I remember. Driving through counts, flight layovers do not count.
In my opinion, screen is so important that it deserves it's own section. If you do any work remotely, on a unix machine, you need to know how to use screen (or tmux, I'm not picky). Here
is my .screenrc (configuration file). Just download this and put it into your home directory.
Or, simpler yet, just run this command from your home directory.
~ $ wget https://github.com/mayhewsw/dotfiles/blob/master/screenrc
~ $ mv screenrc .screenrc
byobu is a fancy wrapper built over screen.
Latex is a great tool for simply and beautifully typesetting math. For an editor, I use TexMaker. Lately I've been using overleaf.
I used Latex to make my resume, and my wedding program.
People often characterize Champaign-Urbana as "nothing but cornfields." While I will concede that there is a lot of corn, and that we have no
mountains or beaches, there is still a lot in the area to be thankful
for. Here is a list of things that I appreciate about the twin cities: